TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — The driver allegedly responsible for hitting and killing a pedestrian last week in SoHo has been charged with DUI manslaughter, Tampa police said.
On Oct. 22 at around 2:46 a.m., police responded to the 400 block of South Howard Avenue in Tampa to find a pedestrian who had been struck by a vehicle.
The driver, identified Friday as 27-year-old Pjeter Nesti Paci, was leaving a shopping plaza at Howard Avenue and Horatio Street when he hit the 35-year-old man.
The preliminary investigation revealed that Paci did not come to a complete stop before pulling out onto the road. The victim was standing near the edge of the roadway at the time, investigators said.
The victim suffered life-threatening injuries at the scene of the crash. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he later died.
Paci did stay at the scene of the crash, but it wasn’t until nearly a week later that police made the arrest.
The driver was arrested while in Pinellas County and was taken to the Orient Road Jail.
This remains an ongoing investigation.